Friday, November 16, 2012

Thing 18- Twitter Me

Like most people today, I already have a Facebook account so I didn't see much need in scoping it out for this Thing. It would have ended an hour later when I realized I'd just been Facebook stalking people instead of actually doing my work! So I decided to fiiinnnnallly go check out Twitter. I created an account and added a few followers,but I don't foresee using it very much. I don't imagine that my life as a student/army wife/domestic goddes/mom is so enthralling that people will follow me to see what I have to say in a 140 characters or less.

Regardless of my personal thoughts on social networking, we can't deny the extreme influence that these sites  will have on our students and our classrooms. As teachers, we need to be aware of the good and the bad that can come from social networking. While sites like Facebook and Twitter keep us connected to our friends and family, it is also an avenue for the growing epidemic of cyber bullying. Teachers must be aware of these issues and work to create bully free schools and classrooms and make it clear to students that the negative aspects of social networking will not be tolerated within the classroom.

While I generally think social networking is a distraction in the classroom, I do see how it could be incorporated into schools. Classes could have group Facebook pages to share an upcoming project, event or fundraiser. Students could use the polling feature to interview 'friends' for as part of class activities. Social Networking is definitely here to stay and we must stay abreast of current trends that effect our students and our classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment