Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Thing 1: The Lifelong Learner

 'Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death" Albert Einstein

Welcome to my first official blog! I'm excited for this new avenue of my educational training. Creating this blog is very indicative of being a lifelong learner as this is my first foray into the blogisphere. I've never really considered my life to be exciting enough to blog about (unless you're a total fan of kickboxing, potty training, making lunches, and being a child's personal taxi driver!) I also thought it would be much more difficult, but I'll talk more about that in post 2.

When I think of lifetime learning, I imagine a living thing-a plant, a tree, a flower. The moment you stop watering it, it begins to wilt and die. I think of the human mind the same way. When we choose to stop learning, we begin to wilt. We're droopy, not as sharp, we begin to decay. The 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learners are the fertilizer to our minds.  Those who practice these habits have green thumbs and flourish as individuals, team members, and  leaders.

When it comes to my own path of lifetime learning, I think I follow most the habits on a regular basis, although, I struggle with habit 3. Viewing problems as challenges is easier said than done for me. I just view them as a giant problem daring to derail my plans!  Habit four is probably the easiest for me; I do have confidence in my intellectual ability and so far it hasn't failed me yet!

I am looking forward to this class to enhance my technology skills. I'll be the first to admit, when my computer acts crazy, I start looking for CTRL, ALT DEL buttons. The ease of setting up the blog helped start the class off to a good start. Setting up the avatar was a different story, but that's another story for a different post!!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Paige! Wonderful to see you this semester. As I read your post I thought about something I learned while researching Alzheimer's (after my grandmother's diagnosis). One researcher discussed how failure to exercise the brain daily was possibly one of the causes for the disease. After reading and digesting that information for awhile, I decided I would never stop reading! Shortly afterward, I decided to return to school for yet another venture. Your post has given me another analogy to visualize. The plant/flower is one that will definitely stick with me. Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Although, it's cliche to say, the mind truly is a terrible thing to waste. I hope I never lose the desire to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paige,

    I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog name. You found a great way to add your name into the title. I also enjoyed reading how you relate learning to a plant. You have to keep watering and fertilizing your mind with knowledge so that it can bloom. Awesome metaphor.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete